One of the most useful things to do is to do research on self-discipline. Where you can know the importance of self-discipline in an individual’s life, and the great results related to it that would be a great motivator for commitment to self-discipline. In the lives of so many great men around the world, we have always found self-control to be the chief feature of their lives; They see only their goals that they pursue; That is why an encyclopedia in this article presents a research on the definition of self-discipline and how to develop it, follow us.
A search for self-discipline
No personal success, achievement, or goal can be achieved without self-discipline; It is the most important trait, and the trait required to achieve any kind of personal excellence, athletic excellence, artistic prowess, outstanding performance, etc.
About psychological discipline
- It is the ability to control impulses, emotions, desires, and behavior, and it also controls the rejection of other modes of enjoyment that could lead a person to deviate from his goal; This is in favor of long-term happiness through higher, more important goals.
- Having self-discipline is the ability to make decisions, take action, and implement a plan to distribute your work and effort regardless of obstacles, discomfort, or difficulties that may come your way.
- Psychological discipline certainly does not mean living a restricted life, nor does it mean giving up everything you enjoy, or giving up fun and relaxation.
- It means learning to focus your mind and energies on your goals, and persevere until they are accomplished, and it also means developing a control mindset in which your choices are deliberate rather than your bad feelings or habits, or the influence of others.
- Self-discipline allows you to reach your goals in a reasonable time frame, and live a more organized and fulfilling life.
How to develop self-discipline
- Just as it takes time to build muscle; It takes time to develop self-discipline.
- The more you train the stronger you get. In exercise if you try to do too much at once; You can injure yourself, and suffer a setback; Likewise take one step every once in a while; to build self-discipline; So start deciding to move forward, and learn what it takes to reach your goal.
- Find out what motivates you and what are the bad ones.
- You can start by learning about yourself; Sometimes it is very difficult to combat impulses, cravings; So know the areas where your resistance is low, and how to avoid those situations.
- For example: “going on a diet,” if you know you can’t resist cake, french fries, or other temptations; Stay away from them, and do not put them in front of you to tempt you in moments of weakness.
- If you also know that putting pressure on yourself is not working for you; Create an environment that encourages building self-discipline rather than sabotage.
- Remove temptations and surround yourself with calming, encouraging, and stimulating materials, such as motivating slogans and pictures of what you want to achieve.
- Your willpower can go up and down with your energy levels; So read the Qur’an, commute, laugh, and entertain yourself.
- Train yourself to enjoy what you do; This will make it easier to implement desirable, appropriate behaviors into your routine, and that is really self-discipline.
- You decide what is important to you, and the goals you seek to achieve.
- Create a daily routine that will help you achieve these goals, for example: if you want to eat healthily, or lose weight; Make sure to eat servings of fruits and vegetables every day, and exercise for at least half an hour, and make it a part of your daily routine; To be part of your self-discipline.
Other ways to develop self-discipline
- Get rid of some of your bad habits that can put your mind in a negative frame and hinder your self-discipline.
- Train yourself to do what you feel is right, even if you don’t want to do it. For example: Limit TV watching. Resist the urge to yell at someone who pissed you off. Stop and think before you act. Think about the consequences when you exercise self-control; This helps you develop the habit of keeping your goals under control.
- you engage in sports or activities; Sport is an excellent way to promote self-discipline. It trains you to set goals, focus your mental energies, exercise, get fit, and develops compatibility with others.
- Participating in sports provides a situation where you learn to work hard and strive to do your best, which in turn teaches you to integrate the same thought processes and disciplines into your daily life.
- Learning to play a musical instrument can be another great way to practice self-discipline, by being where you are while learning from focus, repetition.
- Achieving self-discipline in any area of your life reprograms your mind to choose what is right, not what is easy.
- Get inspiration from your loved ones; For example: Michael Jordan has always emphasized that his greatness as a basketball player came from his desire to work hard in his profession, as did his talent, it was his desire through discipline and focus that made him one of the best basketball players ever.
- visualize the rewards; There is nothing more satisfying than achieving your goals and practicing the style that top achievers and top athletes achieve.
- Show yourself in the future, visualize the desired outcome, feel its reward and the countless benefits you will enjoy.
- Always remind yourself of what it takes to reach your goal.
Factors affecting self-discipline
There are a number of factors that affect the self-discipline of each individual, namely:
- It is the first factor affecting the individual’s self-discipline, in which the person’s intellectual and personal traits become clear, because it is the environment in which the individual’s personality grows and develops emotionally, psychologically and socially.
- In it, the individual develops his intelligence and learns how to deal with himself and with others, and the means that the family uses to raise its children affect them and their thinking.
- Through it they realize the difference between right and wrong, and the individual and social behaviors that must be adhered to or left, and thus affect the individual’s self-discipline.
- The role of the school is no less important than the role of the family in providing individuals with self-discipline, as it is the environment in which young people are contained and their needs are realized, whether on the mental, emotional or psychological level.
- Where the school is an important way to expand the circle of knowledge of the child, instead of being limited to the family and relatives only, it extended to include colleagues, teachers and administrators.
- The school also plays an important role in reinforcing the beliefs that the child has formed through his family or changing the wrong behaviors that the individual has learned from them.
- In addition, the activities practiced in the school are subject to laws that make the child practice dealing with those laws at higher levels.
- In many cases, the influence of friends on the formation of self-discipline exceeds that of family and school.
- Friends have common factors such as age, social environment, problems they face, and their desire for independence.
- These factors strongly affect the psyche of the individual and are one of the most important sources of his acquired behavior, beliefs, trends and standards in which he believes, and affect his behavior, whether positively or negatively.
- It is one of the most important means of self-discipline and the most powerful factor affecting the behavior of the individual. Commitment to the teachings of religion positively affects the individual’s self-discipline.
- When an individual continues to worship such as prayer, with its requirements of ablution, adherence to an appointment, lining up in rows, and commitment to following the imam, this will affect him strongly and teach him how to control his behavior, dealings and relations with others.
Principles of self-discipline
Author Brian Tracy says in his book (The Miracle of Self-Discipline) that self-discipline requires 9 habits that must be adhered to:
By relaxing each day in a place away from the noise for 0 minutes, writing the problem on a piece of paper and looking all over it and trying to find solutions.
usually setting goals
- Each individual must determine what goals he seeks to achieve in his life.
- In order for setting goals to become a habit, those goals must be written positively, reviewed every day, and copied daily at least several times, and think about ways to achieve those goals.
One of the means of achieving self-discipline is to use the largest amount of time in planning the tasks to be accomplished and to adhere to the priority in arranging those tasks. Success in using time effectively is one of the most important factors that positively affect the rest of the business.
Gaining courage comes only by killing inner fears, and this will only happen when a person faces what he fears. When a person does the things he fears, the fear will disappear from within him.
Planning for good health
Man must plan to live in good health until he reaches the age of 1,000, and to achieve this he must avoid doing every unhealthy habit that can cause his disease, and stick to the habits that maintain the strength of his health.
One of the keys to self-discipline is getting rid of debts, being financially independent, and increasing the earning from the spender, in addition to saving 0% of the earnings and then increasing that percentage each year.
Diligence at work brings good luck, so one should make sure that in his field of work he has a reputation as a serious person.
The individual should always be keen to learn more, and therefore he should dedicate every day from 0 to 00 minutes to reading in his field, as this increases his experience in his field of work and thus increases his salary.
Insist on success
He who persists in overcoming all obstacles is most capable of self-discipline.
The importance of self-discipline
There are many benefits to an individual when they achieve self-discipline such as:
- The individual succeeds in using his mind to reach correct opinions and correct solutions to the problems he faces, and thus he can suppress his negative desires and control his emotions.
- Achieving self-discipline helps to think logically at all times and in various situations.
- Self-discipline contributes to achieving psychological balance, which in turn helps to use time optimally and for the benefit.
- Whoever can self-discipline and achieve psychological equilibrium becomes able to identify the goals that he seeks to achieve and make plans to implement those goals.
- Achieving self-discipline plays an important role in a person’s ability to control his feelings and desires, especially those that bring him harm.
- A person becomes less susceptible to mental illness. Self-discipline gives a person strength in the face of the shocks he is exposed to in his life, and thus the chances of him suffering from depression and mental illnesses resulting from weakness in the face of those shocks.
- If a person can control himself, he will be able to get rid of randomness in his way of life, and thus this will help him to reach the desired goals and achieve success.
- Psychological discipline makes a person brave, bold and more confident in himself when exposed to any situation in his life.
- When a person becomes self-disciplined, he will be better able to get rid of the traits that hinder him from achieving success such as laziness and waste of time.
Self-discipline in Islam
- The Islamic religion and its teachings that encourage commitment and getting rid of chaos are among the most important factors in achieving self-discipline. There are many Qur’anic verses that describe the discipline in which the movement of the universe runs.
- This appears in the extent of discipline that appears in the movement of the universe, from sunrise and sunset, and the movement of planets and celestial bodies regularly and in certain paths and dates.
- As well as the acts of worship that are performed according to specific times that do not depart from them, such as prayer and its five obligations and timings from which it is not permissible to deviate from, regularity in the congregational prayer rows that must be adhered to, fasting related to the regular movement of the universe from dawn to sunset, and the pilgrimage in which all of its pillars are performed in an orderly manner. Unparalleled on set times.
- Also, this discipline is evident in the tasks of the angels. God Almighty created the angels and assigned each of them tasks that he adheres to and does not deviate from or violate them.
- And the Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, urged us to be disciplined, and this was evident in the raids he was leading, for he was consolidating the Mujahideen to fight like a solid structure, as he set a banner for each group to achieve more discipline in the arenas of jihad.
- Among the teachings of the Islamic religion is adherence to the word that comes out of the tongue and fulfilling the promises that man makes to himself.
- Islam also urges the individual’s commitment to achieving justice in his dealings, whether between his children or between his wives, so it is not permissible for any of them to be unjust.
- The Islamic religion has commanded us to be regular in everything we do in our lives, and therefore when a person adheres to these teachings, he will achieve self-discipline that will benefit him in all his affairs.